Re: Expectations and what is there

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:33:44 +0100

Jane, replying to Greg:

>> If scenarios were written to try to
>> cover all eventualities
>> they'd never get done, and would have so much
>> useless information that no one would buy them.
>

>Hmm. How small can I squash it?

I think you may be slightly talking past each other, here. Greg is, I think, responding in this quote to a question that boils down to 'what if we're playing Lunars in the Sartar Rising arc?' Well, the answer is 'you're not going to get specifically supported', and that seems perfectly reasonable to me. You have to make some assumptions when writing a scenario, or you'd never get anywhere. And, in Sartar Rising, the default assumption is that you're Heortling clansfolk with a desire to rebel against the Empire. If you wish to do something else with it, you'll have to adapt it. Most people will likely have to adapt pretty well any scenario at some point anyway, to take account of their individual PCs and GMing styles. C'est la vie.

This is, however, I think a different point from the one Jane seems to be making, about whether the Kallyr/Danar relationship should have been kept secret. Arguably, that's not a point about who your PCs are, or what their motivations might be. It's more a question of making sure the GM doesn't, in his inevitable adaptation to suit his own group, put in some incident that makes it undeniable that they're lovers (or whatever) - because the GM assumes that won't matter much further down the line. If you adapt, say, 'Battle of Iceland' to reflect the fact that your group are an investigative Lhankor Mhy Hero Band, or worship Doburdun, or whatever, you know what you're doing. Things will be different, and that's a deliberate decision on the part of the Narrator. When you change something radically without knowing it, one could argue that's a very different kettle of sausages.

Greg's answer to *that*, I believe was that, without gradual revelations of this kind, the Narrator will not be entertained, and will be less likely to buy the next scenario in the series. Which Issaries clearly wants her to do. My experience as to what Narrators find entertaining is clearly different from Greg's (on a number of counts, not just this one) but there's absolutely no reason to suppose that the Narrators I know are any more representative of the market than the ones he knows - he's been closely involved with this sort of thing a damn sight longer than I have, for one! There's a balancing act to be made between being entertaining enough that Narrators are likely to pick up the next book, and being sufficiently frustrating that Narrators will refuse to pick up the next book... but, well *I've* kept buying the Sartar Rising series, so it can't be doing too much wrong :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic