Re: Expectations and what is there

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:51:41 +0100

Jane:

>But I'd recommend against introducing any actual
>evidence of any alternative relationship.

Mind you, to put this in perspective, it's not hugely likely that many GMs will, in this particular instance.

>>> I know its frustrating for you
>>> writers, but I contend not so acute for us GM's and
>>> players. I stand to be corrected of course.
>>

>I have all three hats - and I find this particularly
>frustrating as a GM.

I'd concur with this. As a writer it's not a problem, because I either know what the plot twist is anyway, or Greg will tell me 'no, you can't do that because...' So, as a writer, there's no issue to answer.

As a player it's not a problem, because, from a player's perspective, surprising revelations are cool and entertaining. It keeps things interesting. Not knowing things up-front is (IMO) definitely a good thing, if you're a player. So long as one gets at least some chance to find out in the long-run - and even then, a chance doesn't have to be a guarantee :)

It's only as a GM I find this sort of thing frustrating. And, evidently, not frustrating enough to convince me to give up on the line :)

Tim:

>Also the relationship of Reader::Novel and Viewer::TV Programme is a
>much more passive one than GM::RPG Scenario

Agreed. The relationship Player : RPG Scenario, although still somewhat more active than the first two you list, is none the less a better analogy. I don't think anyone would object to players and/or heroes thinking that (e.g.) Kallyr is up to something she isn't. There's really no similarity at all between the experience of GMing a published RPG scenario and reading a novel, however.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic