Re: Followers

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:31:48 -0700

> I was wondering whether anyone has had problems with players abusing
> the followers rules.

There was a mention 'way back last year about someone (foolishly) allowing a player to take "squad of Char-un" as followers. Make sure that each follower is mentioned individually, including his skills (ie, don't let someone get away with "And his followers Fred, Roger, Bob, John, Ken, Bobby, Billy and Squamash." treat that as a "list of skills" as noted on HW pg 18), or each follower takes up one "slot" in a List-method character. That should slow down too many followers at the start of the game.

> As far as I can see, from examples in the book, they are an excellent
> source of Action Points in combat whilst allowing you extra attacks
> and to defend against multiple attacks with very little
> consequences.

Yep. Useful things, followers.

> In other systems I'd be heavily penalising through treasure and
> experience awards but I'm not sure how you balance out the followers
> thing....

Stack your NPCs with followers as well. Instead of a single Lunar patrol of a Sargeant and 6 troopers up against a ravening warband of six heroes plus their followers, make it a company with six Heroes with six (or more, with the Empire not all units have a 7-man unit structure) troopers each.

You can also keep an eye on how the hero treats his followers - if he respects them and treats them with honor (Especially among the Orlanthi), fine and good. If he uses them as arrow fodder and Polish mine detecters, he'll have a harder time replacing them (make the player pay an HP to replace a follower).

RR