Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: jualra_at_...
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:25:01 -0000

> This is not meant facetiously but I'm never exactly clear what
> people want from money 'rules'.

That they work?
Check the wealth rule example in the HW p. 37. Rurik gets three cows (cost 15) from a raid. The example states that he can trade that to a chain shirt, or he can cement 4 wealth points (1/10 of the cows cost.) with one HP.
On the price list 'chainmail byrnie' costs 5w2 = 45 points, so the example implies that you can add the wealth rate of the three cows together (3 x 15 = 45) and then you can check the price list and see what you can buy with that. Or have I misunderstood completely?

Chainmail for three cows may sound reasonable. But had Rurik got ten cows, by these rules he could buy stuff worth of 10 x 15 = 150 = 10w7. Say, a small stone castle and a temple for hundred worshippers...

I for one would not let this happen in my game.

I approve the idea behind Wealth rules; I just think they are (partly) broken. I too want a simple set of rules to operate with, and I know many people do not bother with the exact rules and just improvise it all. You don't NEED to use thr rules at all but is it so unreasonable to ask that the rules in the rulesbook would make sense?

(I want to add that this is about the only part of the HW system that I would describe with the word 'broken'. I love HW as a whole, it has brought back my faith in RPGing. No, seriously!)

I respect the efforts of Alex & Julian and wish I had more time to contribute to this thread. People should see _behind_ the overwhelming maths and understand that what is sought after as a end result: a small, concise set of rules that both saves you from annoying bookkeeping and provides guidelines for using Wealth so that the results make sense.

Cheers,

Juha Ratilainen

P.S. I wish I DID get my maths correctly, and that I didn't sound too arrogant. If so, my English is to blame...