I guess we may just have to agree to disagree

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:14:43 -0000

> So I am docked 2 cows. If I had 3W2 Wealth, and I get a 2 cow
penalty (not a 5 or 10 penalty), what is my Wealth Suddenly I have switched from being pro narrative to seing the whole Wealth system as seriously broken.

Though I could point out that your wealth is affected by more than just the fine of cows here, but also the loss on credit in your community. This is a matter of style, are you happy to let the narrator judge this, and if you are the narrator do you feel comfortable judging it? That is why some want a table, and some say they don't need one. I don't know even if it is a newbie issue, I think it much more a style issue.

The problem is that the two styles:

: wealth is an ability not a measure and subject to narrator interpretation.
: we need an objective measure of wealth

are probably never going to agree, the same old arguments keep getting trotted out by both sides. While I'd be quite happy to see the former supported by core HW, with any economics rules confined to supplements which choose to make a story of economic adventure to others it is a vital part of the core HW. Unfotunately the argument may soon descend into 'tis/'tis not.

I think we know the opinions of most of the posters, perhaps its time we all shook hands after a good fight and retired to our corners to respect each others opinions. I respect Julian, Alex and Benedict's and other's views as different not wrong, and hopefully, they feel the same about mine. Despite my leanings on the wealth issue, I would be delighted to see Julian and Alex produce some wealth rules that met the needs of the second group, even if I never chose to use them.

And IMO Charles's original question about whether the quest challenge rule needs refinement from doubling to a modifier calculated for say carryover was FAR more interesting.

Ian Cooper