Re: What use is a wyter?

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:02:27 -0000

Erk. That's disturbing.

> > Very useful thought. I am not sure if the wyter stays with the
clan
> > the entire way. There's rumor/discussion that if you go from a War
> > Clan to a Peace Clan, you loose the old wyter permanently.
>
> I'd think that if you don't, you'd at the very least lose most of
> its powers. ('The godar have spoken to the ancestors... and the
> ancestors have said... "Go shag yersel's".') Which in itself might
> be occassion to sack the wyter, and start again from scratch...

It _may_ be that a clan might have a traditional entity they draw upon when they go from peace to war (or vice versa) and they gain the powers of that entity. However, it would be weaker as its not a usual wyter or critter.

On the other hand, I'd be wary of this as I'd hate to see a 'plug and play' approach to wyter. We already have this with the more minor gods adn entities in which folks temporarily worship them to gain access to a feat or affinity at need. The worship of heroes mentioned in Storm Tribe being an example of this. Renvold is worshipped when there are Meldek to smite but not otherwise (except by those crazies who spend their lives hunting down Soulless Ones and killing them)

> Even if you overturn one clan tradition, it doesn't mean you
overturn
> them all, though. e.g., we might be a Peace clan now, but we
_still_

Yes, that's true. Many of the traditions are a part of the Ancestors rather than the wyter. I think that they'd still have to be observed but the traditional powers that the clan uses to _deal_ with those enemies may be lacking.

> had dragons, are suspicious of Sartar's line, are friendly to the
> Kitori, etc, so powers, as well as mundane customs, relating to
those
> may be retained in the "old" wyter (or indeed remade in the "new"
one).

The problem with a new wyter is that it creates a new community. The wyter and the community are one and the same (at least, it seems to be extremely interdependent)

> Basically, I'd take the attitude that while the wyter might have the
> odd 'quirk' which might be related to the 'entity' that formed the
> basis of it (whether than be a founder, or some local daimon), it
> is in essense the traditions, values, and general prejudices and
> customs of the clan, made manifest, and one way or another, it'll
> come to reflect those, as they evolve (or equally, ensure that they
> _don't_ evolve, much).

Perhaps. But I'd think that this might encourage a plug-and-play attitude to wyter. Changing a wyter is supposedly an extreme act, or so I was told. It might be that you would go on quest to get powers for the wyter to fulfil the community's new needs.

Jeff