Peace & War Clans - (was Re: What use is a wyter?)

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:48:28 -0000

>>> Very useful thought. I am not sure if the wyter stays with the
>>>clan the entire way. There's rumor/discussion that if you go from
>>>a War Clan to a Peace Clan, you loose the old wyter permanently.
> >
>> I'd think that if you don't, you'd at the very least lose most of
>> its powers.

I'm sure I've seen or heard something that suggests something of this nature - Clans that stick to a single "nature" tend to increase in power more than those that flit from pillar to post.

>It _may_ be that a clan might have a traditional entity they draw
>upon when they go from peace to war (or vice versa) and they gain
>the powers of that entity. However, it would be weaker as its not a
>usual wyter or critter.

even a long term Peace Clan probably has it's War Banner stored away somewhere on the tula...

> On the other hand, I'd be wary of this as I'd hate to see a 'plug
> and play' approach to wyter.

Hmm. Maybe a Wyter needs to "spend" a certain number of "HP" a year to maintain it's abilities. Normal Worship provides this. (Exceptional worship may provide more and allow the wyter to improve?) An "Abandoned" or "neglected" wyter will gradually atrophy, so when the clan return to it it's powers are lower than they would have been.

I'm happy for this to be a "theory" and not try and slot numbers into it (at least for now...)

>> Even if you overturn one clan tradition, it doesn't mean you
>> overturn them all, though.

True. The longer you have followed one "path" though the more violent the upheavel will be when you change... (so if you are normally "balanced", with occasional flirtations with "War" or "peace" then in the main your traditions will stay much the same. OTOH if your Chalana Arroy start drinking Babeester Gor's Blood Beer, or your Uroxi and Humakti throw away there weapons then there may be little left of your original traditions

> The problem with a new wyter is that it creates a new community.
>The wyter and the community are one and the same (at least, it seems
>to be extremely interdependent)

Which, if it is a major change of heart, might be reasonable...