Re: Running Away don't work

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 15:22:43 -0000

Don't wait until it's your turn to act to decide to flee...

GM: "You have more AP's so you go first - what are you doing?" Players: "Hack! - Maim! - Mutilate! - Stab! urmm 7ap Bid" GM: "OK the NPC's respond by running away..." <roll dice>
GM: "Now it's my turn - The NPC's keep running...."

This brings a couple of issues though...

  1. If the NPC's lose the initial contest, have they successfully disengaged? (If the PC's get a major victory in their attacks then they are probably still within CC range - what if it's a marginal victory?)
  2. If the PC's give chase, when (if ever) can they try a CC action to hit/grab/rugby tackle the NPC's rather than just running after them - I'd guess any time they win the preceeding contest - regardless of who was bidding at the time (so if the PC's choose to pursue with their Orlanthi "Movement" affinity and win they could choose to subsequently resist the "Run away" with "Close Combat" - or vice versa)
  3. If your enemy chooses to flee, why not just take an unrelated action to augment Close Combat with your movement skill/feat/affinity and then choose "Pursue and continue to hack" as your action? (OK you might need to augment movement with CC, but you could argue to maintain any CC edges you have up and running...)