Re: skill improvement and meaning of masteries

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:03:45 +0000

At 10:33 15/02/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Graham said:
>"17 to 17W means you have improved from un-notable, to notably good. "
>
>Thats not true.
>Remember 1-20 means ordinary skill-ability,what you learn without having a
>"formal" education.
>W-means skill of a journeyman.When you finish an apprenticeship,you are not
>notable,you just have very sound knowledge and some practice,but very little
>experience.

But by your own statement, this applies to 1W, not 17W. The number I chose, and the description was careful. By 17W you have very nearly mastered your skill, in the sense that no ordinary person stands much chance of competing with you.

>True knowledge starts with being a master,which is W2(trained and
>experienced) to W3(has years of experience,thus very deep knowledge).

Not according to ANYTHING we have in Hero Wats. W3 is a very special, heroic person. Not just an experienced master - W2 does fine for that.

>As someone else stated before,the problem is not the rules,but your
>campaign.How can,in real life,someone become a master,without making any
>experiences beside that?Thats"inorganic"and robotlike.
>You are giving the rules more importance than the story.This is not D+D.
>While i like the whole HP thing,when it comes to heroic acting and bumping,i
>really liked the RQ experience system with its ticks better.You have the
>possibility to improve your skill,when you have used and succeeded it in a
>stressful situation.The better you are the more difficult it is,to improve
>further.

I think you contradicted yourself about six times there, but I'm not sure enough of your meaning to be certain. I am arguing that improving from 17 to 17W is easier than improving from 17W2 to 17W3. That would seem to agree with your last sentence. I am arguing that the rules should reflect this, as they currently do not, by increasing the cost to improve an already good skill.

And the idea that I am giving rules more importance than the story is laughable. I am firmly of the ignore rules whenever possible branch of roleplaying.

As Wulf asked, which side of the argument are you on? Your post isn't clear.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson