Re: Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:14:20 +0100

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> I have no problem with the shield being whittled down over several
> exchanges. What I do have a problem is with the shield and the
> sword and the head all being whittled down at the same time over
> separate exchanges. I feel that only one of three should apply
> in any one exchange.

The entire combat could have been resolved using a simple contest. That simple contest would represent several actions and effects.

An extended contest, in effect, consists of a series of simple contests (to determine AP changes). So why shouldn't each 'attack' in an extended contest represent several actions? The game result will always be a change in APs, and whether this is described dramatically as several outcomes or one surely makes no difference, provided the description is suitable in scale for the AP change.