Re: Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 23:11:05 +1200

Benedict:

> > I have no problem with the shield being whittled down over several
> > exchanges. What I do have a problem is with the shield and the
> > sword and the head all being whittled down at the same time over
> > separate exchanges. I feel that only one of three should apply
> > in any one exchange.

>The entire combat could have been resolved using a simple contest.

I don't think the Humakti would have been bothering with feats if he was attacking an opponent in simple contest.

>In extended contest, in effect, consists of a series of simple
>contests (to determine AP changes).

There's other changes in an extended contest that can happen besides changes to a persons AP. If a humakti had a humongous truesword feat on and the sword got stolen by a Sairdite, then that's a significant effect.

>So why shouldn't each 'attack' in
>an extended contest represent several actions?

Nothing. I'm stating they shouldn't _if_ they are narratively significant.

--Peter Metcalfe