Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:33:52 +0200

David :

> Fah! I'm a connoiseur of Alan Moore Magick rants myself, but
> I'm also familiar with good game rules. The problem isn't the number
> of too many wibbles, its the how.

No. The logarithmic design of HQ places this, deliberately I think?, but (more important) _successfully_ in the Narrator's lap.

Every single "solution" anyone's proposed for the "problem" works.

This is because it's actually a NON-problem roolz-wise, and mainly a matter of individual GM/Player style/taste.

There's no point in following the Alan Moore thread any further (point made), and I don't really like mentioning logarithms on this forum : Here There be Wealth Threads * ... <shiver> ...

But from the Magical Augmentation game mechanics POV, and the Glorantha 'realism' POV (Magickal superdimensionality), I agree with RR.

The _real_ problems here are "how many wibbles" (ie are 6 of 'em too many ? as asked by Wesley), and do we _really_ want to spend all evening rolling dice ** ?

How to get the extra wibbles (answer: multiple Augmentations) is a non-problem. The important questions are : How many wibbles feel comfortable in your game ? & How many wibbles are right for official HQ releases ?

Oh, not to forget Going With The Story, MGF, etc.

The simple fact is that the Magical Augmentation mechanics _work_ (except for a few problems at low levels of wibble in HW, hopefully not so in HQ), and let all comers decide for themselves what's comfortable and what isn't.

(Mundane Augmentations are more of a problem IMO, but let's not get into that one again : Here There be Wealth Threads)

> The problem is not the guys with incredibly high abilities,
> its the guys with big abilities being wasted by the guys who aren't
> as good and have a few rounds to prepare.

Why is that a problem ? Remember Rurik ?

And there's something similar in Harmast's Saga AFAIK/IIRC

Not to mention David vs Goliath ...

> >PPS & What about Spirits, Spells, and various Mystic powers ??
> >That rule doesn't work at all with these ...

> They are increased separately. Given the general inefficiency
> of augment, its not a problem at all.

Er, trying to have it both ways ??

> Well, actually, with spells the
> same rule should apply apply - only one augment from the same
> Grimoire, as its analogous.

I really disagree with this. Surely, a fragment of the Blue Book of Zzabur might provide a little more magickal >oomph< than some Esrolian sea-captain's one-spell Grimoire ??

Julian Lord