Playing Augments

From: smcginnessuk <mcginnesss_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:19:32 -0000

[once again approaching the chilly waters without his HW/HQ waterwings on!!]

I have enjoyed reading the augment debate because it can lead to a greater understanding of how the rules work. I _think_ I understand what the problems are and where the 'look out' warnings should be when running a game. So I've benefitted.

I've been waiting for someone to discuss actually playing out the augments narratively. There have been hints and nods towards this but there are details I'd like to know.

For example, its been asked (and I'm sorry that I'm not attributing these comments - too much work!) how much time is being given to augments. It's been said that a W5 character would not stand idly by as the W3 character came at him with +60 augment or +120 edge. I was wondering how the W5 character would know about the edge or augment.

Obviously what comes next can change depending on the context of the adventure but in a general sense this is my take on how I may run things in my forthcoming campaign...

Personally, in my very limited experience playing the game, I'd expect such a large augment to require special time or materials
(possibly both) and that it might be difficult to gather these things
without attracting attention. I'd think that the target might become aware of preparations and attempt to hinder them, physically or magically. This would even be more fun to play.

Obviously there would then be counter preparations being put into play. The payout would be two mega-boosted opponents. With mastery and edge cancellations this might bring them both back to similar levels.

So my questions are:

Would it be useful to have a guide to time required for larger and larger augments? Perhaps with specific materials reducing the necessary time...

Would preparations necessarily alert intended targets of such magic? What skills etc might be used to give warnings? This could be good ways of involving PCs in scenarios as they find out someone is targetting them for future attacks.

Would magical augments be visible? Would larger ones be identifiable
(size, nature etc)??

I'm trying not to attract the same kind of comment on the playability of large augments, as far as I can see some people like it others don't. They _will_ exist in game and I'm trying to explore round the edges a bit to find out how they play at all levels....