Re: Playing Augments

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:03:20 -0000

It will depend on the circumstances but Gloranthan magic is generally visible when performed so either the W3 character managed to perform the magic in hiding or the W5 character was slacking.

> Personally, in my very limited experience playing the game, I'd
> expect such a large augment to require special time or materials
> (possibly both) and that it might be difficult to gather these
things
> without attracting attention. I'd think that the target might
become
> aware of preparations and attempt to hinder them, physically or
> magically. This would even be more fun to play.

Any relevant wyters would be getting quite agitated. I think it would be not unreasonable for followers of warlike gods nearby to be given hints by their god that something was up if this much combat magic was being used. Whether a hero notices or can interpret such things will depend on whether they have relevant abilities to do so.

> Would preparations necessarily alert intended targets of such
magic?

Whilst YGMV I would say that they would not necessarily give warning but that there is a chance that they might do so and the more powerful the preparations the greater the chance. Other factors might also be important - attempting to ambush someone in this way within their Tula would probably alert the whole clan whilst doing it to a hero in foreign lands and isolated from his warband would be more likely to work.

> What skills etc might be used to give warnings?

As always, anything which narratively seems appropriate. Trying to list all the possible combinations would be an epic task even if it was worthwhile in a game where players and narrators can make up new abilities on a whim.

>This could be good
> ways of involving PCs in scenarios as they find out someone is
> targetting them for future attacks.

Absolutely.

--
Nic