Re: Alternate ways of playing extended contests?!

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:18:53 -0700

At 10:53 PM 4/25/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>so my question now is: does anybody else play it this way, am I the
>only one not to play it this way, or are there other suggestions how to
>make extended contests more dynamic?

Based on the way my best players play it, here is the current text for the Extended contest in HeroQuest.

Exchange Vocabulary
Action: intended narrative results. "I want to climb that cliff really fast, taking chances if needed."
Actor: the person who goes first in an Exchange. "Player hero is the default Actor in an exchange."
Advantage Point: How well or poorly someone is doing in comparison to the Resistance.
Bid: AP point value that is being risked. "That is hard, and will cost you a lot of points."
Opponent: the Resistance against the Actor, usually a Narrator Character or a natural force. this might be another player hero, however, or even another part of himself.
Resistance: How hard is it to do something, as measured in game numbers? "That cliff is a 2W2."
Turn Sequence
1. Actor states his hero's desired Action. The actor in the exchange describes what he intends to do. 2. Narrator decides on AP bid value
Cooperation is in order on this, with large or excessive activities requiring more AP, and cautious actions requiring few. 3. Actor determines Target Number and the opponent the Resistance. Do this the same way as Simple Contests. Remember modifiers! 4. Die Rolls by Actor and Opponent
5. Success and Failure Levels are compared. This is done as in Simple Contests, but with the table below used to determine the AP results.
6. Opponent states his character's desired Action. The actor in the exchange describes what he intends to do. 7. Narrator decides on AP bid value
Cooperation is in order on this, with large or excessive activities requiring more AP, and cautious actions requiring few. 8. Opponent determines Target Number and the actor the Resistance. Now the Actor reacts to what the action is. 9. Die Rolls by Actor and Opponent
10. Success and Failure Levels are compared. Use the Table Below.
11. Process is continued until one contestant reaches 0 AP.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>