Re: HP bumps.

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 15:33:30 -0000

> But if a character is "consistently lucky" (see the usual aphorism
on
> that...), or appears to be fated towards something or other, then
> might this not be better represented by an actual character ability
of
> some kind? (See The Forge's HW discussion on this; if you have
abilities
> like Blind Dumbassed Luck, or, Destined to Become King of Sartar,
then
> you may wish to resolve contests in which these get use in
a "narrative
> stance" in the jargon.)

Sometimes the player as well as the character might no know what the ultimate fate of the character is, yet the inexorable hands of the norns (or their gloranthan analogue) inexorably gude the threads of their lives towards it.

What I mean is, ability ratings are a very stiff and inflexible mechanism for this. Luck and fate are capricious and uncertain, not known, calculable quantities either to mere gloranthan mortals, or even to players and narrators. Hero Points spent on bumps can nudge events in certain directions, but the influence of the dice ensures plenty of unpredictability along the way.

> I'm not myself instinctively either instantly convinced by or
ineluctably
> opposed to this idea, just trying to tease out the logic of these
arguments.

My arguments are not logical, they are purely subjective and personal. Everyone brings their own perspective to the gaming table, and IMHO HPs are simply a very flexible resource available to empower players in whatever way they prefer.

Simon Hibbs