Re: I forget the subject line, but, Edwards-style AP-lending.

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 12:40:42 -0000

Yes, words like "dramatic" or "narrative" are appropriate to the way I view the rules, "realistic" is only relevant in as much as it enhances the drama and narrative. If I want to play a simulationist ("realistic") game I'll start out by putting HW back on the shelf.

>the end of the

> contest might have nothing to do with the 'deceased', yet it
> determines when he 'dies'.

Indeed, the actions comes to an end, the camera pans round and *gasp* we realise that the heroes friend is dying. Standard enough dramatic fare, nobody realised earlier because they were too busy to look closely. The end of the contest determines when everyone takes stock and realises what has happened, in terms of the narrative. Of course if people had acted differently prior to that then the outcome need not have been the same.

>I always determine negatives when & where

> they happen for Wounds/Injuries - yes, you can recover to positive
> AP, and be thereafter unhurt, but ONLY with the appropriate Healing

So what if they go -ve due to magics, or fear, or from slipping on a tricky ledge on the cliff or...

If you have a special ability needed to help for each situation and only that special ability will ever do then that's really just a very restricive implementation of the normal rule that you must use (or improvise) an appropriate ability to take any action. I've not yet seen any need to be quite so restrictive.

--
Nic