Re: My Worldscale conclusion so far

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:21:43 +0100

>I started this thread and i found Ian Hammonds Coopers reply"Don�t be this
>guy"the best answer/solution to most of my questions/problems:
>-An ability stands for itself(in a human scale).
>-If you want to compare it with another race, you will have to adjust.

But the *rules* don't say any such thing! Note also that *only* Ian and Greg believe this. Other long running HW GMs, including myself, don't run games like this. According to Ian's players *he* doesn't run games like this.

>So while Greg�s message seemed a bit lame,at first, like he wanted to excuse
>something, it�s actually very much hitting the point.

I'd go with your first instinct. In practice, the numbers are wrong. Whether they need corrected on a deliberate 'horses can run faster than that, make it 2W3' basis or a 'I don't like the result that contest will give, I'll apply penalties until I get one I'm happy with' basis is, essentially, splitting hairs. The end result is : the numbers don't work.

The alternative is to make Anaxial's *entirely* useless. Rather than a basicly sound book, with a few numbers I feel are a bit low, I have a book where I can't use any of the numbers at all. I can't arm-wrestle a troll, I can't outrun a horse, I can't fight a wolf, I can't outfly a bird, I can't do anything, because I have no numbers to roll against...

Ian and Greg may make some sense on some level, but their arguments make *no sense* for anyone trying to *actually run a game*. For that, we need numbers we can *use*.

Cheers,
Graham

PS I suspect I've said this enough times now. If Greg and Ian haven't got the point yet, I'd better take it to private e-mail. Stop boring everyone else.

--
Graham Robinson
graham_at_...

Albion Software Engineering Ltd.