add-on to comparing ratings-rodericks answer

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:13:53 EDT

Roderick said:

<Nope, I stand by what I said.
<
<If I'm in a race using "Run fast 14" against a falcon with "Fly fast <14",
agiant with "Leap far 14", a monkey with "Swing quickly on <vines 14" and a fish with "Swim fast 14" (just to pick abilities and <numbers out of theair), then I have an even chance of getting to <the finish line ahead of themall on a straight course, no Hero <Points, each creature in its proper environment, etc.

<I don't give a darn what the real world abilities of a falcon, <monkey or
fish are, I want to know how they compare to my <ability to run.

I now understand what the misunderstanding between our points of view(and Grahamīs) is:

I assume:
1) ,that all the ratings of a playercharacter are a description at what the character is notable at.
2)all the ratings that opponents of the players have, CAN be pitted against the character (,maybe modified by the usual applicationbonus/malus, only), because like Greg said, all the ratings relate to the story, which is prepared by the gamemaster and thus in accordance with the story and the playercharacters.

What cannot be done, in my view, is assigning any creature a general rating, so it can be pitted universally against any other creature OR pc. Or in other words, a rating can, in my point of view,not be universally assigned(like in a bestiary), so that it works anytime and without relation to a story,without an adjusting modifier.

Christian