Re: add-on to comparing ratings-rodericks answer

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:00:10 -0000

> What cannot be done, in my view, is assigning any creature a
general rating,
> so it can be pitted universally against any other creature OR pc.
> Or in other words, a rating can, in my point of view,not be
universally
> assigned(like in a bestiary), so that it works anytime and without
relation
> to a story,without an adjusting modifier.

I can see no reason why not. Personally, I'd not go so far as Roderick, directly comparing swimmers, flyers, runners and swingers without penalties, but I would see no advantage whatsoever in any system that did not allow me to directly compare 'Run' with 'Run'. Obviously, there must be consideration for situational modifiers, and the actual abilities used must be compatable, but running is running. Likewise Close Combat against Close Combat (and also Dodge Blow, Avoid Claws, etc), Ambush against Sense Ambush, etc. There are no abilities that work ALL the time without modifiers, but likewise there are, or should be, abilities that work SOME of the time without modifiers. Even between player characters there must sometimes, frequently even, be modifiers applied, but that does not invalidate comparisons between their ability ratings.

There is another point to consider, that of choosing, or rather naming, the right ability. Does a horse 'Run Fast' and a human 'Run Fast'? Or should the horse 'Run From Pursuer'? I could see the case for a modifier here, as the horse has a more specific ability. Likewise, cheetahs speed is usually measured by the rather unscientific method of chasing after them in Land Rovers. The cheetah tries to avoid the vehicle, weaving around and turning sharp corners, which forces the driver to constantly play 'catch up' around the corners, artificially increasing measured speed. The cheetah isn't used to being chased, it usually does the chasing. Is it using 'Run Fast 10W3' or is it forced to improvise from 'Run Down Prey 10W3'?

Alike abilities should be directly comparable. If they're not, they're badly named.

Wulf