Re: Dodge skill

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:50:48 +0000

flynnkd2 wrote:

> If a player has a Dodge skill (allowing him to dodge in melee), how
> is this implemented into HW, or more to the point how to people use
> it.

All abilities are 'implemented' the same way; using an ability comes down to having a target number in a simple contest OR having a target number with an AP bid in an extended contest OR an augmentation in a simple contest. Which of these depends on the choices the players make: the Narrator decides whether it will be a simple or extended contest; the other players decide what they want they characters to try to do; the players together (but usually mostly the Narrator) decides which way to 'implement' those actions.

Abilities are not always 'implemented' in the same way. Sometimes Dodge might be used as an defensive ability, sometimes as an 'offensive' ability, sometimes as an augmentation. It depends on the context.

You seem to be thinking 'My character has ability X, how does my character use it?'. A better way of playing contests is to think 'I want my character to do X, which of his abilities are suitable for doing this?'. So, if you want your character to nimbly jump out of the path of a boulder, Dodge would be a suitable ability to use.