Re: Why invest HPs into a magic weapon...

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:39:35 -0000

That's perfectly true, I can't see why anyone would want to do this.

> The value return from HPs is extremely poor compared to simply
> increasing your skill.

Or compared to actualy using the enchantment rules in the Magic section of the HW rulebook.

I think the answer is, don't create magic items that are used solely to augment other abilities. This is actualy merely a streightforward extension of a more general principle - don't have any abilities of any kind that you only ever use to augment another ability. The same problem applies, inthat they are never worth increasing.

Every ability should be usable standalone, and should principaly b used in that way. The fact that you can use abilities to augment each other is a lovely synergistic game mechanic that also mirrors real life. However if an ability is only ever used to augment another, then rely it's propper place is as a component of the ability being augmented.

The possible exception to this might be abilities that are only used to augment, but can be used to augment lots of other abilities. I'm not so happy about this way of doing things though.

There are plenty of magical feats that can be used entirely on their own. These are great candidates for enchanting into objects in the way you describe. Artifacts that augment are IMHO best created using the enchantment rules.

> Further, if you enchant a Feat into a weapon are you enchanting the
> Feat (which you have no skill value) or an aspect of the
Affinity...
> in which case to increase that would cost 3 HPs, an even worse
ratio.

It's a bad ration, but remember that the main reason to enchant a feat into an object is not to use it yourself - after all you already have that feat. The main reason is so that other people without that feat can use it. In which case it's them payign the 3 HP cost, which is just tough. Such people should get less bang for their buck that those who know the affinity.

Simon Hibbs