Re: Sliding scales (was: Equipment)

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:33:05 -0000

> I think this is where we agree to disagree. I think Glorantha is
too big to
> fit into a single scale.

HW has a scale form an ability of 3, up to an ability rating of about 18w8. I'd say that's quite a broad scale, broad enough to fit some pretty way out there extremes.

I suppose you could argue that pixie men half an inch tall battling against normal ants are a bit off the scale, and that's fair enough, but HW dosn't pretend to extend to that scale anyway. It does pretend (and succeed IMHO) to be able to scale down to small dogs and ducks, and I think it can easily be made to do so.

After all, if simple modifiers can enable characetrs at different scales to interact reasonably in Hero wars, why not just subsume the modifiers into the scale? If Small Dogs should have a +10 to their Small when interacting with humans, why not just give them Small 3w to begin with?

Simon Hibbs