Cultural keyword type stuff.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:40:38 +0100

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 08:01:56AM -0700, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> The Cultural keyword is what "everyone" can do. In the US, (and Europe,
> Canada, etc) it includes (but is certainly not limited to):
[...]
> Speak [Second Language] at -5 to -15 (There are some phrases that will "leak
> through" even to the most crusty "Amerca Now" type - "Asta la vista, baby"
> would be an example of a Pop Culture-ism leaking through to Speak other
> language).

That's more than a little generous! Many of us have studied a second language in school, and are -still- horribly bad at 'em, never mind the ones we've "learnt" through osmosis...

> Proud of [My Nation]

Nah. That's just the US, and maybe the French. Everyone else in Europe just has Hate [consult appropriate row of the European Hate Matrix].

> But if you were running a game and the question came up "Can you ride a
> bike?" the answer is either "17" (Cultural keyword) unless the player says
> "oh, Fed never learned to ride a bike" in which case it's 6. Don't sweat it,
> if it is something "everybody" does, then let it happen at Cultural keyword
> value.

The numbers here are bonkers, though: I was disappointed to see that HQ screws this up incrementally more than does HW (if I recall both correctly). If I take the trouble to _describe_ my facility at a particular thingy, it ought to mean I'm better at it than if some I-I hack <g> just happens to decide that "everyone" in my culture can do this -- not vice versa! Might be better to have all your keywords start at 13, and give out more "elective" higher TNs (a load of 17s, for one); or to give a bonus, say +2 or +4, every time you 'double up' on a skill -- e.g. everyone in your culture does Watch TV (13), but your family has a 'trait' of being especially decidated couch potatoes (+whatever), and furthermore, you're remarkable even among them (wrote it down in your 100 words, have another +yadda).

Cheers,
Alex.
(Another non-driver, btw.)