Re: Question on affinities (subject title changed)

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:01:36 -0000

> I also dont take the HW rules as absolute but more as a guideline
> rule system. For example I noticed many feats lend themselves to a
> one time affect. I allow for players to take an agumentation roll
> with out taking a unrelated action when the augmentation only
affects
> the next roll.

This is the beauty, but also one of the problems with the game design. It's great because it means as a GM you have a lot of flexibility to run the game the way you want to. On the other hand, you aren't given as many game mechanical crutches (perhaps training wheels would be a beter metaphor?) than other game ssytems would when ruling on a lot of common situations.

> Finally I think there need to be guidlines on what the level of an
> affinity means. I have not completly worked this out but it seems
> that either the opposition skill or the required victory level
should
> depend on the amount of un-realty your trying to create.
> The un-reality levels I have thought of have to do with probability.

That's certainly one way to do it, but remember that affinities are _very_ expensive, they cost 3 HP to raise by one point, and should therefore give good value to the character. What's the point of having a magical ability if you can't do anything realy amazing and, well, magical with it?

> The final level would be out and out imposible, making something
> from nothing, teleporting, changing shape, flying(?).

I don't see why these must be innately very, very hard to do. If you have flying magic, what use is itt if you can't use it to fly with at fairly low levels?

The problem is of course, you won't be able to fly very well. However I think a character with something like Sky Walking (perhaps a personal power put in the character's writeup) should at least be able to get off the ground and hover a bit on beating the default difficulty of 14 for magical abilities. Have a look at the 'levels of vicotry' table and decide whether a particular task might require a marginal, minor, major or complete victory. Setting a required victory level can be another good way to make things tougher to do complex or sdifficult tasks without having to ramp up the resistance numbers. Just remember to make this clear before the roll, and be aware that players do have Hero Points.

Hero Wars, and Hero Quest are games about mythic, magical adventure so I don't think you should be afraid to let your players do cool stuff and have fun.

Simon Hibbs