Re: Slave bracelets

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:56:48 +0200

Ashe :

> Benedict A. asks:
>
> "What does a Slave Bracelet do?"
>
> In "traditional" (i.e. "In terms of that game which must be ignored") terms
> you could model them as:
>
> - Prevents casting magic 20W3 (-8 or more on all magical abilities or a
> simple contest by the wearer to even start doing some magic)
>
> - Isolates from God 20W3 (-8 or more on all contact with deities)*
>
> - Kills wearer if broken 20W2 (extended contest against toughness or
> whatever else's appropriate)
>
> - Unbreakable 20W3 (bit of a bugger to remove)
>
> *This one goes away if the bracelets but not the neckpiece are removed.

I personally dislike this traditional approach.

IMO a Slave Bracelet does one thing : Enslave.

I think that the items have that one single power.

I think that all contests to oppose that power, including using magic freely, attempting to destroy the bracelets, being independent, et cetera, should oppose that particular TN.

In HeroQuest terms, *not* RuneQuest terms, I imagine that each Slave Bracelet set contains a spirit that personally oppresses the slave, which in turn suggests that there is a specific Waha tradition Praxian cult dedicated to the creation of these items.

Which is scary.

There is probably something here along the lines that the slave's spirit is trapped in the Borderland where the difference between Eater and Eaten is at it's most tenuous (although, after all, the slave doesn't become a herd beast ... ).

Julian Lord

PS This is probably too esoteric for HQ-Rules, at least until the Prax book is published, so I guess you should answer this post ElseWhere ... ;-)