Re: Re: Hsunchen & Puma People

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:39:28 -0700

> If the two are distinct, then a different name should have been chosen,
> certainly. (The PP (lack of a)homeland writeup doesn't use the word
> 'talent', but it does say 'innate magic', to similar (and confusing)
> effect -- unless you want to unbundle the two, a la Camo. If this is
> just a proofing/consistency error, fair enough, not wanting to make a
> big deal out of it (believe it or not).) But does the distinction
> actually made sense? If talents _don't_ work like 'natural magic' (or
> "magic that now acts as if it's natural, regardless of how I got m'hands
> on it"), then how _do_ they work?

I think the two are distinct, and should have been called two different things.

The issue is the Concentration of Magic rules and page 104 "Innate Magic". I personally feel that "Talents" should not be a part of Common Magic at all, and not be subject to the Concentration of Magic rules.

> Well, I think agreement on the latter part of that at least is pretty
> universal, happily... We're just quibbling about the game-mechanical
> rationale, in effect.

No, we're quibbling on terms. "Innate Magical Ability" and "Talent" were used interchangeably through all of the text, and the Common Magic rules should *not* apply for the Puma ability. So "Innate Magical Talent" should not have been used to describe the Puma Shapechange (or should not have been tied to Talents and thus Common Magic).

> Though it does seem vaguely divine in origin, so does concern me
> somewhat if the issue ever arose of what'd happen if he wanted to
> concentrate in _sorcery_, say... (This isn't a huge problem though,
> since one can always say that regardless of the mechanics of
> concentration per se, your actual _religion_ is going to have to say a
> thing or two about what's acceptable, and what's not.)

Well, "the North Wind" could as easily be a Spirit, Deity or Essence (or mere hyperbole). Even if this was a Theistic North Wind, I personally don't think the hero should be inconvenienced rules-wise if he went on to become a Sorcerer.

If I were given leave to change the rules, I'd remove "Talents" from Common Magic and from the Concentration of Magic Rules. "Talents" would work like normal abilities, not augment-only as Unconcentrated Common Magic does. They would be raisable at 1HP/+1, not 2HP like Common Magic. Then I would forbid a player from gaining a talent after Character Generation is over (without a good excuse, at least). No learning that you can naturally Breathe Fire or Fly two years into the game (unless you're playing kids and the hero hits puberty...).

That's what I would do if I ran the Zoo!

RR
- Richelieu