Re: Re: Concentrated Magic Use

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 02:34:36 +0100

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 05:49:10PM -0700, Andrew Solovay wrote:
> I think the answer is, "From any god or hero in the Storm Tribe". I'd guess
> that if you want to learn elaborate, flexible magic--that is, an affinity or
> secret--you have to initiate to the god or hero. But the gods and heroes are
> a lot more easy-going about handing out one-off common feats.

This is an interesting idea, and helps backfill the gap between 'communal worshipper' and 'initiate'. OTOH, I'm not sure that trundling in the mechanics of Common Magic as such actually helps here (either the clarity of the mechanics, or the 'usefulness' as far as the Hero is concerned). One might just as well write it down as a 'magical ability' (and take the lumps of it starting at 13 rather than 17, gnash-gnash).

As it goes, I had something like this come up in a game shortly before Scotscon... "This guy's an worshipper of Daylanus and of Urox--" "Hey, Urox doesn't have initiate, and he can't be a devotee _and_ in Daylanus!" "Yeeuh. Ah, yes, well spotted! He's a communal worshipper, but he does have a few standalone Uroxi feats, takes part in the Bull's rituals, etc."

> [*] Orlanthi 'all', of course. (Maybe we should abbreviate that as OAOC? Or
> just write"oall", as in "oall Heortlings initiate to gods"?)

I vote for a rune/LaTeX command. ;-)

Cheers,
Alex.