Re: Armour

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:59:46 +0100

Selon Oliver Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>:

> Christian wondered:
>
> >Armour as a special ability.
> >I think you all know that scene from The Lord Of The Rings movie. The
> battle
> >with the cavetroll in moria.
> >Frodo has this mithril-chainshirt. How would you play this ?
> >Just giving the shirt a high bonus doesnt seem apropiate to me .
> >Maybe the shirt as an ability?
> >I m especially curious how Roderick would do it....;-)
>
> Well I'm not Roderick:-) but I would be hesitamnt to make it work as an
> ability as this might result in a character having two actions in a round.
> I think since it's such a rare thing I'd give it a big bonus AND a bump down
> "ability". This would give it a chachet regular armour would never have.

You don't like having a "Mithril mailshirt" ability at 10W3 (or even 10W4) ? Seems quite elegant to me. It could be used directly as an defense ability and almost nothing could pass through it, which seems good to me. The downside is that you can't do anything else with it, except maybe use it as a "Wealth" rating :)
I know I tend to forget that attack and defense abilities need not be the same, but in this case, it's a good way to 'simulate' a Hero with a low CC and high defense.

In a similar way, some characters IMG now have 'objects abilities' which are higher than their CC abilities and so they use them directly, augmenting with the appropriate Close Combat.

        Philippe