RE: Re: Augment Returns

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:06:23 -0600

>From: "nichughes2001" <nicolas.hughes_at_...>
>
>I tend to think that if its important enough to get the dice out then
>its worth the effort of thinking up augments etc. Pretty much by
>definition it has become narratively important because the player has
>to decided to make it so.

Maybe. But this is just an augment. The player in question might think that its dramatic enough to warrant a roll, but not dramatic enough to warrant a roll with looking up augments for it. In which case he takes the auto augment. I'm just saying that this has the potential to eat away at any gains in use you get from implementing it in the first place.

Or would you, as GM mandate one or the other? Personally I make the choice the player's in all cases. It's up to them if they want to gamble or not.

> > Another problem is that if I augment my Strength with my Size in
>order to
> > get a big augment to the original combat roll, can I then use the
>Size again
> > in the original contest? Or has it already been accounted for?
>
>How does size aid your Combat affinity when using that to augment
>your combat ability? Piety might be more useful.

By "combat roll", I didn't mean an affinity, I meant something like using Swordslinging to win a combat contest. Which I'd always allow size into.

>Personally I would not allow a single ability to both augment the
>ability and also augment and augmentation attempt to the ability. The
>auto augments applicable would depend on the rolled augmenting
>ability rather than the ability being augmented, so Clear Minded
>might help a Monotheist Orderly augment with a spell even though
>Clear Minded would be little use in directly augmenting combat.

I think we agree, then. I think that it would be rare that a player would find something that would apply to the augment, but not the original contest, but, sure, if they did, I'd allow it. My point is that, again, this reduces the potential number of available Abilities for the secondary augment, and as such whittles away at the usefulness of the benefit to some extent. I'm not saying it's broke, I just don't see it having a lot of practical effect.

OTOH, I do like how it can allow you to weasel in tiny fractions of effectiveness. At that point you're talking about one-hundreth the Ability's normal effect. That appeals to the detailist in me. :-)

Mike

Make your home warm and cozy this winter with tips from MSN House & Home. http://special.msn.com/home/warmhome.armx