RE: Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:03:39 -0600

>From: "simon_hibbs2" <simon.hibbs_at_...>
>
>I've ahd a thought about "Decapitate Foe" that I'd like to toss out.
>
>Clearly we want it to be a useful ability.

This is the same problem that we've been dealing with all along. It is a useful abilitiy, precisely as useful as any other ability. There's only a perceptual problem in that people looking at the rule seem to think that it won't do what it "should". Well, in play it works just fine as do all the other abilities that fall under the "pompous title" syndrome.

I agree with you that the difficult magic rules are problematic. First, once I'm invisible or something, how does that affect the next contest? Or can't it? If it can, then what ability level do I use? If I use the Invisibility level, then why did I have to roll to get it on in the first place? And what does the modifier do in this case?

Seems much easier to me to just assume that the character is "slightly invisible", "partially shapechanged", "somewhat non-corporeal", or "Nearly decapitated his foe". The end effect is the same - it's very hard to get the Complete Success to do any of these completely. And no special rules neccessary.

Mike

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral. http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx