RE: Re: When is a Hero ready (was: mechanics of myth)?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:47:59 -0600

>From: "simon_hibbs2" <simon.hibbs_at_...>
>
>wrote:
>
> > I don't think that the Hero-planes have denizens as such - they're
>sort of
> > recordings of the world as it was in God-time. But it's as well to
>never be
> > too prescriptive.
>
>You can't have a 'recording' of something as it 'was' if it occurs
>outside time. The denizens of the heroplane(s?) are active forces in,
>and of the world.

I'm not sure quite what you're saying here, Simon, but I can see Graham's description as being functional. That is, I think that you can think of the Hero Plane as being in the "past," for eases sake. So there are records in the present of the events. When you do a heroquest, you go back to that event, and re-live resulting in the world being adjusted to fit the new events.

I think "outside of time" means that you can do whatever you want with it and it still makes sense. Paradoxes fixed by whatever seems expedient at the time. For instance, if I go do a hq, and meet you but you've not yet gone to do the hq in my timeline, and you defeat me, then can I go and find you, and kill you before you enter the hq, thus eradicating the results? I'd say that you can argue that yes, I can do just that, or that I'm predestined not to do so. In either case, the paradoxes represented are OK, because the heroplane is "out of time".

Mike

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar � get it now! http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/