RE: Re: Gaining Hero Points

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:58:59 -0600

>From: "Janus" <janus2213_at_...>

>wrote:
> > Hmm, I don't run "adventures," it's more like one big soap opera. I
>award HP
> > per session, therefore. Seems to work very well.
> >
> > Mike
>
>What are your criterias for awarding HPs ?

Basically how much plot got resolved. If we play slowly, and don't really get to a lot of interesting stuff, then maybe 3 for the session per player. If a lot of stuff happened, and the characters tended to confront issues relevant to their characters, then maybe 5 per player.

Basically, I want to give the players the idea that they should partake in trying to get to conflicts. Also, I always award the same amount for everyone, because that tends to reward the players playing to each other's issues. That is, if each character goes off on their own and the player doesn't make any effort to try to have their character's story intersect with other players, then less happens overall in play (by a small margin). So rewarding as a group means that I'm rewarding playing together.

In fact, I think of the reward level as a comment on my own play as GM. If I award only 3 points, I think to myself that I could have probably done more to get to the important conflicts. So it's a form of self-feedback as well. I always shoot for five, and speculate on the time that I may feel justified in giving everyone six.

Mike