Re: 17 vs 13 Starting Abilities

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:55:48 -0000

Now, as a player, I'm not sure that is bad, I like the concept that I can have a warrior who is quite good at singing love songs, a hunter who could fleece some merchants, or a sailor who is an expert in some arcane and esoteric field of study. But I can understand how in a balance of spotlight perspective it is important to have heroes not be too broadly competent.

Thinking it through, I have a compromise that seems reasonable to me. But I've not tested it under fire, so take it with a cup or two of salt. Actually, I have two different versions, depending on how much my prospective players seemed interested in fiddling with their heroes (some people love it, some have no interest)

The little fiddling option is you get ten abilities starting at 17. If you use the list method, you are done. If you use the narrative method, choose ten of them to start at 17, the rest start at 13.

The more fiddling option is you get five (arbitrary, could go as low as three) abilities at 17, the rest start at 14. Yup, 14, for two reasons. First, because I like the idea that these are things that you aren't a complete beginner at, so that if another hero spends a hero point after the first adventure on that ability, you are still one better than that. Second, so that with just one starting point or hero point you can bump the auto-augment to +2, so that there is more reason to spend a few of your starting points on your low skills, so that you will have a mix of 14, 15, 17, and higher skills.

(I've also kept in mind a take on the old HW system, in case I had players who really hate math. Key words start at 17, other abilities at 14. Now choose 5 abilities at 14 to raise to 17. Now choose three abilities at 17 to raise to 1W, now choose one of those to raise to 5W. But this doesn't adapt as well to things like buying devotee status as the 20 points do).

--Bryan