Running a gang

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:22:16 -0700

I'm wrestling with the problem of groups lately.

My players were attacking an encampment with 60 people in it. I figured they had something like Run Away 14, but needed a target number a lot higher than that to avoid the Close Combat 10W4 of the characters, so each of them augmented, for something like 14W3. This didn't really seem satisfactory.

Of course, perhaps my problem was how I let the player heroes combine. I figured this was a simple contest, so I had them all augment one player's combat ability with their own. This gave everyone some sort of contribution, but it didn't seem like all that much (since any one person's augment was typically less than +6 -- far less than the +10-+20 that people can augment themselves).

Perhaps I should have used the Mass Effort rules -- this would work fine for the NPCs but wouldn't really give the other players scope to contribute (except as raw numbers on the Community Support table).

The Horde comments apply to extended contests.

Perhaps the multiple attacker rules would have been OK.

Any rulesy guidelines out there?

--

David Dunham