Re: Mastery notation -- from the Continuum list, was: MG's Thoughts on Continuum 2004

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:20:10 +0100

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 07:40:49PM +0100, Darran wrote:
> Why not just 2m04 or 2m*4 or 2m>04 or other such symbol between the mand the target number?

That's rather the dual of one of my suggestions, but I still think my version makes more sense: indicating the the masteries are 'repeated' by a * or x has an intuitive meaning (at least to me), which adding a 'farble' between m and TN doesn't (again, for me).

i.e., 2xm4 or 2*m4, say.

The 'fixed format double digit' would disambiguate it on an "intellectual" level, but I think would still be visually confusing.

(If you don't think you'd ever see double-digit masteries in Glorantha, btw, just wait until Greg's book on heroquesting comes out -- whenever that'll be...)

Cheers,
Alex.