Re: Re: Pol Joni

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:32:02 -0700

> >In any
> > case since they want to ride horses, they aren't ordinary Praxians.
>
> I would think they were rather desperate Praxians. It would be hard
> to survive out there if expelled from your clan for any reason (or
> if your clan had been destroyed). They would have to be either
> desperate or determined if they were to switch their riding beasts
> for horses (which it states that they were required to do).

The problem is that riding herd beasts is a *major* part of Praxian Life, Waha worship, and cultural identity. If you're going to be switching your cultural viewpoint *that* radically, then swapping religion & losing your old magic can easily come as part of the package.

I can see the Spirits of the Plains sharing the strong antipathy to Horse-riders that the human Praxians have. The "stink" of Horses might be so repugnant to the Praxian Spirits that they'll refuse to deal with a horse rider. Ride a horse, be blacklisted by all your old spirits.(I could be wrong, too. I haven't delved much into the PJs).

The Bastards might have a higher proportion of Kolatings or other shamans (Ganvalings, maybe) to deal with Plains spirits, but probably on a less-than-friendly basis. I doubt that there would be much in the way of Horned Man shamans hanging around, though there might be.

RR
- Richelieu