Re: Presents from a shaman

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:50:18 +0000 (GMT)

> It would be like your best buddy
> asking you to help out
> his/her friend, whom you loathe. You might do it,
> but not happily. And if
> you were supposed to help them out every day, your
> friendship with your buddy might begin to suffer.

Got it. Thanks.

> Ask Nick ;-).

How many hours/pints is the answer likely to take?

> I tend to agree that splitting Common
> magic up among talents,
> Charms, Feats and Spells was silly, and that there
> should be only one
> "Common Magic Ability" whatever it would be called.
> We wouldn't then have to
> clarify if we're talking about Common Magic Charms
> or "real" charms.

I suppose the split adds colour (as do these rose-tinted spectacles).

> From re-reading the rules on 136-137, it seems that
> only Practice spirits can be put in fetishes, not
> Tradition spirits. Either
> Tradition Spirits are too "primitive' (elemental?
> simple?) to become friends
> with a mortal; or their friendship still don't give
> "fetish" powers to their
> friend (pick one or make up your own
> rationalization).

I can see I'l have to re-read the distinction between Practice spirits and Tradition spirits, too.

> > OK, fair enough. But his local friendly shaman
> could perhaps do the
> > release for him, allowing him to get the benefits?

> I don't think you *can* release the fetishes of
> another person.

Even if you're the one who created the fetish?

> The
> "release" function is based a personal relationship
> between the holder and the spirit in the fetish

Which presumably the creator had, in order to create it?

> Or, come to think of
> > it, the shaman could release one of his *own*
> fetishes and allow the
> > theist friend to get the benefits?

> For a person asking a spirit to help someone else
> instead himself, of I'd
> check on the crankiness of the spirit - something
> like the Follower
> Reluctance table. Maybe a Kolat spirit would be
> "Cranky 17" if asked to help
> a communal member of the Storm tribe, and "Cranky
> 20W" if asked to help a
> Sorcerer. Or just "Friendly" to the Owner, "Neutral"
> to others in the
> owner's religion, and "Hostile" if asked to aid a
> "complete outsider".

So as a one-off rare event, this might work. Just don't try to over-do it. Fine by me.

> Of course, "YGWV" and "Yes, but..." are invokable in
> this instance. I'd let
> a player hero break the rules, just not every
> Tormakt, Derek and Harev.

This is for a story, and while I *can* invoke that sort of thing, along with "well he must have rolled a 1", I try to make things fit what's possible by the rules in so far as I can. I've got nothing against this being weird, and getting both parties looked at oddly, in fact I *know* that's the case. But actual impossibility is another matter. And if this trick requires one of my characters to be a Practitioner in this story, I insist on them staying that way for every other appearance, too, and knowing why and how they got that way. Yes, I'm awkward :)

Jane Williams