RE: What useful purpose do the concentrated magic rules serve?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:45:17 -0600

>From: "Nick Hollingsworth" <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>

>... But I just said that the concentrated magic
>rules are a mistake and dont achieve anything useful. I expected
>opinion to be divided, with perhaps a rebuffal from some quarters, but
>no one batted an eyelid.
>
>Does that mean its taken as a given, the whole community agrees and is
>already ignoring those rules? Or does everyone lurve the concentrated
>magic rules because they have some purpose that has escaped me and
>assumes that I am posting a troll?

Considering the context, Nick, it didn't seem like an idea for discussion, so, no, I doubt that the lack of response means anything in terms of whether this is an accepted thing or not.

In point of fact, I use concentration in my game, and I see it as a useful construct. Basically it's a demarcation of a certain kind of devotion to belief in a certain sort of otherworld. An interesting decision to make.

That said, to make it a real decision, I do try to have lots of "cross-otherworld" religious options available so that the other option is also attractive. For example, Josh was looking at his character sheet last night, and noted that he had affinities, and what amounts to some common magic talents. He was thinking of raising an affinity, but at six per he was balking. But the only way to reduce that would be to drop the other powers. He was actually conflicted by that (and probably wanted me to drop the rule because of it). But I like that choice, so I keep it.

Does that answer your question?

Mike