Re: One session per season...

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:39:38 +0000 (GMT)

Which is why we took it off-line, and if this had been a F2F campaign, we'd have run it as a single-player session.

> Over IRC (or the like) communication is a lot slower
> than face to face, so even doing what you described
> wouldn't have taken that long.

I type about as fast as I talk, but yes, I know what you mean. Say an hour. And there was a lot of time spent trying to understand the spirit magic rules, as they're new to both of us.

> and the sacred time was about 30
> minutes
> wrap up at the end and fire and sea season took
> about 3 hours each.

But what do you do in those 30 minutes, or three hours? Just concentrate on a few key points? Or cover the whole period, but at much higher level? Or what?

> As to the quality, you'll have to ask the poor
> mugs^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h players.

I've had you as a GM. I'll assume it's good.

> As a counterpoint, in another game I GM I often
> leave
> the players alone for hours at a time, becoming
> nothing more than a glorified barman / cup of tea
> maker as they spend hours plotting in character.*

That's what I'd regard as more normal.

> *This sort of conversation can be done offline
> fairly
> well, but it's good having it happen in front of me
> as
> I can nick all the ideas they have for future
> events.

Or of course do it by email and then you've even got notes made for you!

> PS: The one-off I ran at continuum that you and Rob
> played in would have taken most of sea season in my
> campaign.

I don't understand what you're saying here. AFAIR, we did about 2 days of action. How can that take most of sea season? Characters don't just stop mid-adventure and say "sorry, got to go and do a week's ploughing, I'm sure the Evil Villain will wait till I get back." Do they? Two days action lasts two days. Leaving all the rest of the season unaccounted for.

Jane Williams