Re: One session per season...

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:20:48 -0600

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>

>If the player
>says that during the down-time he is looking for training in XYZ ability,
>then that, too, should be counted at the "normal" rate - maybe make him
>roll
>to see if he finds/convinces someone to teach him the ability.

Which is still limiting. The player can only reasonably claim to have the character do so much during these periods. I mean, if he's not at the Farm during the downtime (stuck for the winter in Boldhome), then, no, no farming. Or if he leaves the farm to go learn to swing a sword at some far Humakti temple, then he has to pay double for farming.

>The Double-Cost is really for things that come out of nowhere - "I want to
>buy "Belch Acid 13"...

To which the proper in-character response to it's first in-game use is, "Orlanth's Balls! I had no idea. Where did you learn to do that?"

Thus giving the player a chance to establish some cool backstory about the ability, or to play it close to the chest, "Wouldn't you like to know."

Last night in play a player pulled out a Loud Voice ability, and impressed a lot of people with it by calling the attention of a huge swamp serpent to himself using the ability (and saving a small child by doing so). That was sweet. :-)

Mike