Re: Expierence presenting Heroquest to newbies.

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:02:24 -0000

and my experience is use a simple contest for combat if there is a clear mastery advantage between the player character and an opponent, and your story does not demand an extended contest.

You have to be slightly careful with simple contests though, as they can throw up freaky results.

I have played in a game where we rolled a one and the narrator rolled a 20! (remember that Ashley?)

And then describe it in Victors terms as he is spot on in my book. Thats how I do it.

Simple contests are great for mooks. But then I don't tend to put fights in my games unless there is a very good reason. In fact I was delighted that it took 6 months of real time before a player killed a person! Absolutely fascinating.

Regards
Rob