Re: Common magic

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_...>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:25:05 +0100

Another thought occurs to me. Since the mundane world is mixed, "the world is made of everything", the magical entities in it may also be mixed. So, you could make a case that the form of magic you get depends on how you approach the magic entity.

Taking the Seshnelan peasants ands Saint Barbaro as an example, the Seshnelans may know that Saint Barbaro is there and if you sacrifice the first ears of barley and a cup of honey to him, he will help you hide. If you sing a certain hymn and dance until you drop in the old oak grove each sea season he will make a charm of your prayer beads that helps you hide a little surplus of your harvest. If you say his prayers in the weekly worship and say the correct formula and point the rune-stick old Alaric carves, the lord's soldiers will start bickering and forget to harass you.

Exactly what kind of entity Saint Barbaro is doesn't really matter, I don't think misapplication is much of an issue in common magic as it is by definition mixed. There is of course an explanation why the community has learned all these ways of contacting Saint Barbaro, but there isn't room for that in the book.

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams