Re: Re: Common magic

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:36:45 +0000 (GMT)

Ashley Munday wrote:

> Arseholes to game mechanics and balance.

I'd agree with the latter, I suspect, if we mean the same thing by the term.

PCs cooperate. They do not compete. Whether one ends up (or starts off) more powerful than others is not the point, as long as they can all have as much impact as their players desire on the story.

Whenever I find myself worrying about game balance, I remind myself that the longest running game I'm in, and one of the most enjoyable, is where I'm a 14-year-old, not yet initiated, and the other PCs are approaching rune level.

So, any rule apparently designed to limit player power and pull everyone down to the same level is one I tend to discard as fast as possible, IF that's what it is.

But game mechanics, unless you go completely rules-free, are something we have to endure. And therefore, they have to work, and be understood. Hence this invaluable list.

Jane Williams