Re: Re: Common magic

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:40:57 +0000 (GMT)

Rob drags me into the mutterings about common magic by using the mantra:

"Game mechanics and Game Balance."

Arseholes to game mechanics and balance. "Balance" in role-playing games is a myth made up by parents that want their children to grow up to be video game designers*. Have yourself off to a d20 bulletin board so you can discuss whether Darth Vader could take out a Paragon Mind Flayer Rogue/Wizard/Sorcerer.

The true test of what a particular common magic is should be "what sounds reasonable for where you got the particular common magic from." So, if you (taking examples from my own campaign) pick up something from Flesh Man, it's a talent, if it's from Arfritha (local land goddess) it's a feat and if it's from Gouger (the spirit ancestor of the Tusk Riders, a chunk of whom's bound into the skull near FairJowl) it's a charm.

Cheers,

Ash

*The whole argument about balance explains why RPGs aren't games, but I end up sounding like a Forgite. I'll save that 'til I grow long hair, a beard and wear sandals in summer.