Re: Re: Combat Rules

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:38:19 -0800

> Hmmm... split out anything that gives you a different bonus from an AP
> change. I see the logic in that. I have the nagging feeling that it would
be
> difficult to be consistent about that, though. (I am being shot at by
> archers, I dart behind cover. This becomes an unrelated action because
they
> now have a penalty to hit me?)

Remember, this is *my* way of thinking, not necessarily anyone else's....

Yep, ducking behind cover is an "unrelated" action because you aren't swapping APs (assuming you specify that you're not swapping aps).

> Regardless, why would switching from Sword and Shield to casting a
Lightning
> Bolt be an unrelated action? (Or do I misunderstand you here?)

You misunderstand (of course, you're making me try to remember my thought proceses for a 3-week old conversation...).

Whether you swap APs or do a special trick, *everything* is really related to a contest (unless it's so *totally* unrelated that everyone wonders why the heck you're doing it, like dropping your drawers during court, and you're *not* a trickster...). But the various mechanics of the outcome are what (to me) determine if something is related (to swapping APs) or unrelated (to swapping APs).

If it swaps APs, it's called "related".
If it doesn't, it's "unrelated".

After all, digging in your saddlebags for something is specifically listed as "unrelated", even if what you're digging for is the Holy Handgrenade of Antioch. So you can use an "unrelated action" to set up for a AP swap in a later round.

Frankly, if there is a 2nd ed. and I'm involved in it, I'll be advocating that the whole notion of "related" and "unrelated" actions get scrapped. Actions can swap APs, can set up bonuses or penalties for the contestants, might do a special effect, etc., but it's all meant to further the contest.

RR
- Richelieu