Re: Cumulative wounds a rules variant

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:09:17 -0000

> I mean, let's say that I have an injury at -50% for something
> physical (let's say I was defeated in combat). And then I have another
> contest in which I am embarassed for -10% to social stuff. Now, the
narrator
> decides that in a subsequent contest to impress somebody using "Leap
High"
> that both of these problems affect the skill in question. Well,
where was
> the error?

In my reading of the rules the error is saying that they are cumulative mechanically. Sure he is both injured and embarrassed, but I would take the larger of the two penalties into the contest. So my narration would involve both but the mechanical disadvantage would only reflect the worst case.

I would argue that the narrator imposing both panalties is against the rules as written. But instead, by allowing framing of the scene to include both and the narration after dice roll to include both, there is no real issue. He should just choose the most appropriate to the goal and reflect the outcome in a modifed bonus where applicable.