Re: Benefits of Illumination

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:07:24 -0800

>> The Illuminate *does* get to ignore the "No magic but from your god"
>> restriction of a Devotee, though.
>
> Ah...
>
> So an devotee illuminate could learn feats within the affinities of
> the immortal to which he/she is devoted (i.e an ordinate of), and
> could learn affinities (but not feats!) of another immortal to which
> they are simply initiated (i.e. a novitiate of), and could use Lunar
> common magic feats as active abilities?

First, forget Devotees if you're talking about Lunars. Just wipe the word from your mind - they are Ordinates. We thought long and hard about what to call them - we did think about just using "Devotee", but since they have a different set of magical abiltiies, "devotee" didn't quite fit.

Anyway...

Correct, he'd get Feats from the Immortal he was an Ordinate of, and Affinities from the one he was a novitiate of. (Assuming they both had Affinities, of course). Of course, he could as easily be a Lunar/Rinliddi, or Lunar/Praxian, or Lunar/Hrestoi. He'd get whatever magic was available to a person of his magical rank in the Cult/Order/Practice/School. And yes, he could still have Common magic (of any kind, not just Lunar) and use it as active abilities (because he counts as being Concentrated in all the worlds).

>> Remember that Devotees/Ordinates are not *supposed* to be worshipping
>> other
>> entities. If you want to worship multiple entities, do so as a
>> Novitiate/Initiate/Practitioner/Orderly. Devotees are supposed to be
>> devoted
>> to *one* God(dess).
>
> This just seems a bit odd given that whole "masks of the goddess"
> business, but I suppose the Lunar Way is full of contradiction. :)

Even the current Red Moon (Rufelza), is still only *one* aspect of the Great Moon (Sedenya). No one is expected to embody the moon in all Her forms (and no-one can, except the great Moon Goddess herself).

>> Heroquest doesn't support the whole "RuneLord of Yelmalio, RunePriest of
>> Humakt" idea of earlier Runequests.
>
> Er. Yes! (As mentioned earlier, I am a newbie...)

Oh, right, you're *that* fellow. :-) (Don't mind me, I usually lose track of who said what when).

RR