Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:46:21 -0000

> > ...But if you want to make it a contest then all you
> > need to know is
> > "Complete Success" means you can take High Tea with
> > the garrison
> > commander, "Complete Failure" means you are still
> > only halfway there
> > when night falls, and in between is everythign from
> > making it
> > comfortably, collapsing across the threshold, and
> > banging against
> > the locked doors, pleading to be let in...
>
> Sure. Completely agree. Now, what's the resistance for
> that contest? 17, same as your ability? 14, because
> it's easy? 5W, because a 17 in running is lousy, so we
> don't want your chance of success to be too high? How
> are you going to pick that number?

<Licks finger and sticks it in the air>

Having some sample resistances to base it on would be helpful. Having conversion tables that try and convert ratings into MPH would not - Especially if the fort is "About half a day that away" rather than "10 miles down the road"

> > > If you meet a new strange beast, and the scenario
> > > tells you it's got Large 12, is that the size of a
> > > sheep, a horse, an elephant? We visualise things
> > in
> > > feet, pounds, and mph, not in abstract ratings.
> >
> > Why would you describe it as "Large 12"?
>
> That's exactly what Anaxial's does!

Well, What Anaxials does is tell us that *in a contest* this creature will use "Large 12" as a size related ability. Unfortunately what it doesn't do is also describe the physical size of the creature directly or in comparison to "Known" beasts. Providing the latter would, IMO, be a better fix than trying to derive them from the former, for reasons explained by others elsewhere (re: Champion the Wonder Horse)

> > But
> > what when you want to increase your "Large" or your
> > "Run Like the
> > Wind" and cross referencing it back to the table
> > gives silly results.
>
> Then you got the table wrong.

which means you either need to change the rules to put a hard cap on some abilities (and I know some peopel have house-ruled to this effect anyway), or, given that you could continue to raise one ability indefinitely, accept that sooner or later you are going to have "got the table wrong"

> > *Maybe as well, more advice on setting resistances
> > rather than just
> > a page of sample resistances....
>
> That would be good. But the sample resistances are a
> good start.

Yes, they are. I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of them. But equally, I don't want the game to get bogged down with hundreds of charts, tables and formulae for calculating every last detail