Re: Tricky situations List

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:57:01 -0700

> 1. "Injured" - p.75 - "...When it comes to taking action again, [the
> character] is mostly helpless...An injured hero suffers a -50% penalty..."
> I humbly submit that that is a mismatch. Note that it is the -50% penalty
> which finds its way into the tables (p. 74; p.270), not the helplessness.

Okay, yes, there is a disconnect between "helpless" and "-50%" in terms of what they mean mechanically. Players being players, they *will* continue on with a -50% penalty, because "it's only a flesh wound"; but it's not - it's a broken leg, or severe concussion or... But Players are tougher with their paper heroes than themselves (easy to do). Rather than play out rest and recuperation, they'd rather soldier on with penalties.

While I have never had a broken limb (minor stuff like fingers, yes), you *don't* just get up and blithely walk away from a broken leg. I *have* broken my head (dove on a rock - so get all your cracks out now :-) ), and I know I wasn't tracking very well for a few days.

So perhaps the insertion of "If a hero *muust* use his abilities, he suffers...", or maybe not, players being players and all that.

> 2. "Dying" - p.76 - [Discussing whether Dying leads to Death] -
> "Ultimately,
> the final decision lies with the Narrator."
> I believe this part of the rules as written has been "house-ruled" in
> favour
> of the player by more people than myself.

Well, in theory the Narrator has ultimate say, but *should* listen to the players! In practice, I doubt many narrators are going to over-rule a player saying, "He's dead, Sam".

RR